In 2016-17, The Intertwine Alliance and a team of community leaders developed a Greening of Schoolyards plan, funded by FamilyCare, to create a clear vision and pathway for this effort.
In January 2017, we brought Sharon Danks of Green Schoolyards America, one of the leading voices nationally on this topic, to Portland to connect with community and school leaders.
And in March 2017, we hosted the first Children, Nature & Schools Symposium and Green School Tour, with Cam Collyer of Toronto's Evergreen delivering a keynote address.
Greening of Schoolyards will:
- Build a leadership team to advance the movement
- provide advocacy and mentoring
- develop guidelines for successful projects to assure best practices and project sustainability
- identify funding sources and pursue opportunities to develop projects
- create a web portal for the gathering of information, tools, resources and contractors, as well as for promoting and raising visibility of these projects and issues