In the spirit of a more interconnected greater Portland-Vancouver region, we introduce DAYCATION -- fun, convenient excursions throughout The Intertwine's abundant natural areas, showcasing diverse perspectives on rest & relaxation in nature.
Daycations are personalized adventures combining parks, trails, beaches, waterways, coffee shops, brewpubs, libraries and other fun waypoints.
App available for download; website coming soon
The much-anticipated Daycation mobile app is now in the iTunes store and available for free download!
We're conducting beta testing on version 1.1, and will release an Android version later this year taking user feedback into consideration.
Also in the works for spring 2017, a mobile-optimized Daycation website for accessing each excursion and its photos, videos, species information, personalized tips and so much more.
Seeking app testers -- and brutally honest feedback
We need people of all kinds to download the app, read a few Daycations, take a Daycation, and fill out a simple feedback form.
For those leery of newfangled technology, we’ve made this even easier by putting together a little “Daycation 101” video demonstrating the main features of the app.
iPhone users, send us your toughest criticisms, and don't hold back -- we'll send you an Intertwine t-shirt as a token of our thanks.
Specifically, we're asking testers to:
- Get outside and take at least one Daycation.
- Post at least one comment and/or photo to the Stream.
- Review at least four Daycations in the app, including looking through and reading all content in the About, Waypoints, Gallery and Stream tabs of each Daycation.
- Complete this easy, breezy survey.
If you're game, please email Communications Manager Tara Wilkinson at email@example.com.
Send us your Daycation
What's your favorite excursion in urban nature? Send it in, and help us turn the Daycation mobile app and website into a resource representing the passions, interests and expertise of people throughout The Intertwine. Get started now with the DAYCATION CREATION STATION.
What is a Daycation?
A Daycation is a guided adventure—and you are the guide. Daycations combine more than 3,000 miles of natural areas with fun urban waypoints throughout the Portland-Vancouver area.
Why Make a Daycation?
- Daycations can feature your organization, favorite place, special project, or memorable event in a mobile platform.
- We’re in this together. By contributing to this Intertwine Alliance-wide effort, you’ll benefit from the marketing strength of 150+ partners.
Send us YOUR Daycation!
- Document your Daycation. Take your smart phone along on your favorite Intertwine adventure. Take photos and a video to describe why you love this Daycation.
- Submit your Daycation online. Fill out the simple form at the DAYCATION CREATION STATION. Include lots of photos and insider tips!
TIP: Check out the form before you head out on your Daycation so you know what info you'll need to input later.
- Multiple waypoints mixing nature with nearby food, drink and entertainment
- Descriptions - overall and waypoint-specific
- Enticing photos and a short intro video
- How to get around (walk, wheel, paddle, public transit, etc.)
Tips to Make Yours Great
- Get personal: Highlight an activity you truly love to do, or a natural area or urban waypoint of special significance to your organization.
- Be descriptive & show off: Share cool facts, points of interest, and insider tips in your descriptions while adding photos and a video to promote your adventure.
- Use themes: Connect your Daycation activities through a shared theme—such as season or holiday, featured activity, or healthy behavior.
- Vary time commitments: Daycations can take half an hour, a whole day, or more, giving options to those with limited free time as well as those looking for a longer adventure.
Definition | August through November 2015
User experience | November 2015 to March 2016
Visual design | March through April 2016
Build | April through June 2016
Content production | June through September 2016
Initial testing | July 2016
Beta program | Spring 2017
Youth engagement | Spring-Summer 2017
Public launch | Summer 2017